lovely moments of inspiration...

10.26.2010

oil

"Music ignites in our ears and we feel it in our souls.  Art brightens our eyes to create as we slowly paint the lives we live."  - Anonymous


I thought I might share a couple of paintings from my senior thesis (Wittenberg, 2007). My Artist Statement:


My work is about my two passions, art and music, that continue to inspire me everyday of my life. Basic themes that are woven in and throughout my brushstrokes of these paintings include frustration, sorrow, joy, and love. I believe these emotions are intrinsic to human nature and serve as common threads that tie each of us together.


I created this work as a response to powerful music that has shaped my life and as a way to reveal and discover more about myself. By composing each piece using multiple panels in a variety of shapes and sizes, I have created an open-ended montage of memories that have extended past the two-dimensional realm of painting and have come to possess a sculptural quality. I made this choice to reflect my belief that memories are often fleeting, sometimes tainted, and always very personal.

The musical phrases you hear as you experience my exhibit are fragments I have selected from the very four songs that inspired these works. Just as memories come and go, these melodies drift in and out of existence, sometimes leading into the next, and other times fading into profound, black stillness.

Artists whom I admire and have inspired me throughout this endeavor include Georgia OʼKeeffe, David Hockney, Elizabeth Murray, Charles Demuth, Robert Delaunay, and Vassily Kandinsky.


Blue in Green, oil on board, 2007



Pour Some Sugar on Me, oil on board, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment